|Cyberpunk & Steampunk| - Denis Villeneuve's "Blade Runner 2049" - Film Review

Blade Runner 2049 poster.png

I really thought I was going to be able to read all of the books for each week, but besides my non-enthusiasm with Hitchhikers’ Guide and the busy weeks for Finals, I was unable to follow through with my plan of reading “Snow Crash”.


It didn’t even seem that long, at first. But when you have to carefully understand this collapsing dystopia and also do final projects, things can get a little bit out of hand.

Just to still try and do something that related to the topic of Cyberpunk and Steampunk, I decided to watch a movie that has been recommended to me endlessly and has even been required for one of my Concept Art classes: Blade Runner 2049

I’ve never seen such gorgeous cinematography in my life. It is the most stunning cyberpunk world ever created by technology and man. Ah! Marvelous.

My artistic side got the best of me and sometimes I would have to rewind to see scenes again because I was just so caught by the world itself.

My crush, my man, the one and only Ryan Gosling does an outstanding job as the new blade runner protagonist and just the overall concept of the future in the Blade Runner universe is so interesting. Maybe it’s just me, but the idea of creating replicants and then having the viewers not even know who is a human and who is a replicant is a plot that though it might be overused (A.I. believing itself to be human) this film brings its own touch with the magnificent cinematography and its unique characters.

Even though I really did enjoy this film, I do admit is reeeeeeeaaaaaaallyyyyyy slooooooOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOw. I’m pretty sure you can take out more than twenty minutes of pure silence and scenes of slow-paced walking and NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING would’ve damaged the plot of the film. I was also a little upset that it took pretty much two hours to see the Harrison Ford, but it was still epic.

I must say when we finally figure out who the real hybrid child is(half replicant/ half human) who started the plot of this entire film, I was not as surprised as I wanted to be. I’m not saying you could’ve given me a heads up or some more clues to figure it out and make me be more surprised, but you should’ve given me a heads up and some more clues to figure it out and
make me more surprised.
Yes, I was left with some questions and some of the plot and rules of the world can be confusing, but damn do I love those visuals.


   

  

Comments

Popular Posts