|Heroic Journey| - J. R. R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" - Book Review




How ironic, to call myself a lover of fantasy books but never have actually read one of the greatest fantasy book of all time… The Hobbit. I must say, the Peter Jackson films really intimidated me. It got me very confused once they adapted the book into three full-length films. Now that I had the chance to read it as an assignment, I understand all of the hype given. It’s definitely a masterpiece.  
  
The book is the epitome of the Hero’s journey and even though it can be entertaining at times to see the cycle of the plot unfold, when used multiple times, it can does get pretty tedious for me. From the Misty Mountains to the Mirkwood forest, it was all captivating with its description of creatures and obstacles. Even then, there were certain moments where you just realize they’re just going somewhere, they get in trouble, get saved and the cycle keeps going until their goal is achieved. I understand it is all supposed to be interesting because depending on the specific chapter they could be encountered by giant spiders and in the other they’re being chased by elves. Unfortunately, after my experience reading fantasy books, journey-type books like this haven’t been my favorite of the bunch. It’s funny how this was the book that pretty much started the prototype of hero journeys and how I’ve read so many books with similar plots that I’ve become tired of them. It was still an amazing experience that I’m glad to have read no matter how “stereotypical” it can look nowadays. The reason why I still enjoyed was because Tolkien has such a descriptive way of world-buildings. Also, wanting to know what the characters would do or say next was what kept me the most intrigued.  
  
Through the writing and the descriptive imagery of the lands and the characters, you can tell the dedication and creativity Tolkien has on the tips of his fingers. I can relate a lot with the character of Bilbo, someone who is comfortable in the safety of their home but once things escalate maybe there’s a sense of curiosity and adventure that lurks within us. A calling and a desire for something more.  Gandalf was one of those characters I wanted to know more of, more about his wisdom and the independent adventures he’s gone through, and it makes me more interested in wanting to know more about him and how the Lord of the Rings trilogy compares to The Hobbit and whether it is going to be as good or even better than this one. I can’t say much about Thorin, he was a good leader and all but I couldn’t find him as memorable and I ultimately didn’t feel as bad when he passed away during the Battle of Five Armies (I don’t know, maybe I’m just a bad person!). As it was mentioned in my class, there are NO. FEMALE. CHARACTERS.  
  
HOW DARE YOU, TOLKIEN?! 
  
That is sadly something I didn’t even realized myself up until I finished reading the book but thankfully they fixed that for when they made the movie adaptations back in 2012, 2013, and 2014.  
  
Overall, the book was so well-done due to its amazing world-building, its magical archetypes, and the well-thought-out cycle of the hero’s journey, in which we see our protagonist grow from someone who questions his identity and his purpose while battling the strangest of creatures like Gollum to the giant Smaug, the dragon. 
  
Now, if you excuse me, I am now going to go finally see the films. ­­ 





Comments